The ARCTOS PhD school was officially approved by the University of Tromsø (UoT) in October 2004, following a proposal from the Norwegian College of Fishery Science (NCFS). The first officially registered ARCTOS PhD student started at the NCFS in January 2005. The school has at present (September 2011) 18 full members, as well as 5 associated students from other Norwegian and international institutions.
Through the University of Tromsø, the ARCTOS PhD school offers several courses and workshops. Some of these courses are focused on marine ecology, others are relevant to all scientific fields and open for all PhD schools at UiT. ARCTOS PhD students and affiliated students have priority in the PhD school courses, but other PhD students are welcome to apply as well. All courses and workshops are held in English.
A list of courses and workshops - the links in parentheses take you to the extensive course description on the ARCTOS pages (ARCTOS) or to the official UiT course page (UiT)
- BIO-8516 [BIO-8517 when taken twice] Arctic Frontiers PhD/student workshop (4 ECTS) - annual workshop in concert with Arctic Frontiers conference on research proposal writing and more (ARCTOS / UiT)
- BIO-8510 ARCTOS marine ecological research cruise Spitsbergen and Barents Sea (3 ECTS) - every 1-2 years at varying times of the year (ARCTOS / UiT)
- BIO-8511 ARCTOS Marine ecological research cruise East Greenland (3 ECTS) - every 1-2 years in varying times of the year (ARCTOS / UiT)
- BIO-3001 Anthropogenic pollution and environmental impact in marine Arctic environments I (15 ECTS) - annually in autumn, part of EWMA (ARCTOS / UiT)
- BIO-3007 Ecotoxicology: A practical introduction to environmental monitoring tools - (5 ECTS) - annually in autumn, part of EWMA (ARCTOS / UIT)
- BIO-8002 Anthropogenic pollution and environmental impact in marine Arctic environments II (1 ECTS) - continuation of BIO-3001 but can be taken separate, essay course, part of EWMA (ARCTOS / [UiT not available yet])
- BIO-8003 Anthropogenic pollution and environmental impact in marine Arctic environments III (2 ECTS) - annually in autumn, colloquium course related to BIO-3001, part of EWMA (ARCTOS / UiT)
- BIO-8504 ARCTOS Colloquiums (5 ECTS) - continuous throughout the year at UiT and other localities, sometimes with video conference setup to remote participants (ARCTOS / UiT)
- BIO-8603 Philosophy of science and ethics (6 ECTS) - spring intensive short course on the ethics and science (ARCTOS / UIT)
Course relevant for PhD students but not organized by ARCTOS
- FSK-8003 Leadership skills (2 ECTS) - autumn intensive short course at UiT. Preparation of PhD Students in different fields for their working environment (UiT)
- FSK-8002 Communicating Science Module 1: Scientific writing (3 ECTS) - sporadic course on scientific writing (UiT)
Previous courses - courses that are not given any more, have changed name or code etc.
- BIO-8502 Arctic marine ecosystem research network (ARCTOS) workshop (5 ECTS for 3 workshops) - workshops on varying topics. This was a series of workshops which also included the YSF Arctic Frontiers workshops. Since 2009 the YSF Arctic Frontiers workshops can be taken as a single 2 ECTS course as well. The BIO-8502 workshop series as such is fnished, but students who started on this course as part of their PhD can still register it with UiT. For a history of the workshops, check out the workshops/meetings section.
- BIO-8512 / 8513 ARCTOS Marine Ecology Research Workshop (2 ECTS) - previous code and name for what is now BIO-8516 / 8517.
- BIO-8515 Climate change, marine ecosystems and tipping points in the Arctic Ocean (2 ECTS) - one time only 3 day intense summer school of the ATP project (UiT)